The Care Group has requested a meeting with Council over the recent lake closure and other ongoing issues. We will keep the public updated on responses to our concerns raised in the email to council below;
Dear Cr Taylor (Paul),
Lake Hugh Muntz – Closure
Thank you sincerely for your letter dated 6th March 2017 in response to the community concern I mentioned in our phone conversation on 23rd February 2017 about the poor health and closure of Lake Hugh Muntz. You outlined what has been achieved to date and the challenges of healthy waterways in the context of a challenging environment.
Subsequent to your letter and regardless of current algal bloom events in the lake, prudence and risk mitigation are necessary to protect this high-value community asset.
As representatives of the Lake Hugh Muntz Care Group and more broadly the local community, we seek a formal meeting with you and key representatives of the City of Gold Coast Council, including in the areas of public works, public health, asset management, sport and recreation and environmental science, to discuss a range of matters pertaining to the lake including:
- Asset environmental data and analysis transparency: What information/data and analysis is available to the CoGC/Council and the broader community to assist all parties in gaining an improved understanding of the environmental causes and consequences of the lake’s environmental condition?
- Asset management strategic plan: Does the CoGC/Council have a strategic plan for the environmental management of the lake? Assuming a plan exists, how does the CoGC understand the current environmental problem impacting the lake and how does the CoGC in turn plan to address the current environmental and health related status of the lake as part of this strategy?
- Community engagement: How does the CoGC plan to engage the community in consultation regarding any planned actions regarding the lake’s environmental restoration?
Our request is for a meeting to be scheduled with the relevant CoGC and Council representatives within the fortnight. In the interests of openness and transparency, our intention is that the minutes of this meeting would be published on a public forum accessible to the broader community.
Time is of the essence. We are formalising our focus and strategy with respect to ensuring Lake Hugh Muntz is a prized public asset. We have determined to work with a wide range of stakeholders and we have sought considered opinion and expertise to help you, CoGC and Council representatives represent and protect the interests of the lake. Our renewed activities are focussed on:
- the environmental condition of the lake;
- the circumstances pertaining to it’s closure;
- ways of expanding its public use and amenity through consistent, reliable water quality that the public can trust;
- optimal solutions to restore on a sustainable basis the environmental condition and performance of the lake; and
- all available future courses of action which the community should be supporting and prosecuting with CoGC and the Council to ensure the environmental sustainability of this important community asset.
The Lake Hugh Muntz Care Group would be grateful for a formal response by COB Tuesday 21st March (Harmony Day) with suggested dates and times for a meeting with two or three Care Group members.
We look forward to your response at the earliest convenience.