Recently the Care group representative, key user groups and residents met with Council to get an update on the progress of lake issues with summary below;
- Water Quality. No indications that the lake will NOT be closed again this summer. Timing and duration of algal blooms difficult to predict with high algae levels coming out of winter.
- Action Plan Timeline Released with NO Action Plan. Griffith are continuing testing with the report on solutions due in July but no timeline beyond that. With the proposed solutions not delivering improvements for the first year and a half, the concern is how long until we can expect any improvement?
The care group will be asking for an idea on timeframe for the following;
- Council to undertake multi criteria assessment on report recommendations including feasibility, cost etc. How long?
- Funding for proposed works. Is funding available for proposed works? If not when? With the report due in July after the annual budget will action be delayed another year due to no dedicated funding?
- Implementation of sand capping. How Long?
- Griffith Report indicates monitoring effectiveness of sand before a possible Phoslock treatment. How long for monitoring?
Care group have again raised concerns over no consideration over the loss of underwater aquatic vegetation and no action over the severe stratification issues. These problems need to be addressed to ensure long term recovery and health of the lake.